Sunday, 14 May 2017

My Vanilla Sock Recipe

Hello there my lovely readers!
I seem to begin a lot of my posts with an apology don't I? Once again I apologise for the unintended hiatus recently. It's not that I haven't wanted to write, but rather that I have had a case of writer's block. Inspiration has been hiding on me recently, however I am back and I have a few posts scheduled for the coming weeks so yay!

This week I thought I would share my vanilla sock recipe.  As you know I am taking part in the Box O' Sox KAL run by Kristin of Voolenvine Yarns & the Yarngasm Podcast.  When I want something mindless & easy I automatically turn to vanilla socks, & this is my own recipe I follow in case you are interested!


Now being petite I only wear a UK size 3-4, which is a EU 36-37 & a US size 6-6.5. For my socks I cast on 52sts on 2.5mm needles, however you can use your regular stitch count in this recipe.
Also I prefer to use the Fish Lips Kiss Heel pattern by SoxTherapist which you can find on Ravelry.  Alternatively you can just knit your preferred heel.

My Vanilla Sock Recipe

Cast on 52sts on 2.5mm needles. Join in the round.

Cuff:
*k1, p1* for 16 rounds.

Leg:
Knit for 60 rounds.

Heel:
My heel of preference is the Fish Lips Kiss Heel, however you can substitute this for your favourite heel style & pattern.

Instep:
Knit until you reach the point where you will begin the toe decreases. This is usually 2 - 2 1/2 inches or to the base of your little toe.  For my socks I knit 45 rounds.

Toe:
My preferred toe is a slightly rounded toe, and the one I use I actually got from the Hermione's Everyday Socks pattern by Erica Leuder.  It is as follows:

Decrease rounds - *k1, ssk, k to last 3sts, k2tog, k1* on both the top and bottom of the sock (both needles when knitting magic loop).

1) Decrease
2&3) Knit
4) Decrease
5&6) Knit
7) Decrease
8&9) Knit
10) Decrease
11) Knit
12) Decrease
13) Knit
14) Decrease
15) Knit
16) Decrease
17) Decrease
18) Decrease
19) Decrease

Once you have knit the toe, use the Kitchener Stitch Method to close it. Here is a handy tutorial demonstrating how to Kitchener: http://blog.loveknitting.com/how-to-do-kitchener-stitch-with-or-without-a-darning-needle/

And that's all there is to it folks. A simple vanilla sock recipe that I hope will be useful for you!

Until next week,
Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment